Sunday, April 14, 2013

Weekly Roundup....

Well this week has been another jet propelled one for me and no sooner did it start than here we are at Sunday again....

Tuesday saw another day at the Children's Advocacy Center where I am now volunteering 2 days a week. I hope that perhaps something 'paid' will come from it, but I know I can't bank on that happening so I am also keeping my eyes and ears open for anything suitable that may arise....
The wonderful thing about the CAC is that everyone who works there is there because they have a desire to help abused children - lets face it, you would have to be a really hard-faced person to take on that kind of job JUST for the pay packet, and the Advocates, Forensic Interviewers, Nurses and Admin staff see some very real tragedy on a daily basis. Also based at the CAC are Prosecuting Attorney's and State Police who work to ensure that the needs of each child and family are dealt with in one place without the need for endless interviews and questioning. It is an upsetting but soul lifting experience to be a part of on any level...

On Thursday I had to go and have my bloods done at the doctors office ready for my appointment next week. This was a real learning experience for me. I have had my blood taken for testing on numerous occasions - my Vit D and Hypothyroid problems make sure of that, but Thursday was the first time the nurses have really struggled to get any blood from me. "You're really dehydrated" she said "Nothing is coming".. I said "really...being dehydrated can stop the blow of blood?" I have never been told this before. I had to admit that I was not a big water drinker. I drank lots of coffee but that was about it, and because I was having the blood taken I had fasted as well which had only seen to amplify the problem. The nurse was really understanding, she admitted she was really bad about keeping fluid levels up as well, but was able to manage a huge glass of water before going to bed and another first thing in the morning. I have promised her that I will try and do the same, and hopefully have better flowing blood when I go again in 3 months. The result of my slow flowing blood was that they had to stab me 3 times in their attempts to get the 4 phials that were needed for the tests filled. IN the end they actually stuck a huge syringe into me and sucked the stuff out. Never again will I complain about bruising after giving blood - if you don;t drink enough fluids you are going to get bruised, no matter how good the Phlebotomist is. I now have arms that resemble what I imagine a heroin addict to have, and am reluctant to wear a t-shirt outside of the house in case anyone should suspect me of drug use... Severe lesson learned - DRINK LOTS OF WATER!

Talking of water - this week has also seen the cleaning of and filling of our hot tub. Neither S or myself have ever owned a hot tub before, and this one came with the house. It is a CalSpa 3 person tub and although not exactly new - The plate on it says it was made in 2007 - it looks pretty good! We did have to buy a new cover for it as the existing one had definitely seen better days and was all ripped and saggy. The new one, although expensive at $300 was well worth it, and should hopefully last for the life of the tub. Having scoured the hot tub with cleaner and made it all shiny, I finally filled it up on Friday and after an hour or so of filling the water was at a level where i could turn on the jets and test it out......There was a humming and gurgling sound and then a steady stream of disgusting limescale spewed forth out of every jet on it. It was totally gross! I had to start draining it again and vacuuming it to get rid of the scale. Then refill it and try again. The same thing happened, and I felt totally cheated and disheartened. I looked online for a solution and found one in the form of dishwasher powder and bleach. I threw the mixture into the pool and turned the jets to full and just walked away and left it to do its thing. S came home and I told him what had happened. I showed him the hot tub, and bless him he set to work running, emptying and refilling it another 3 times until finally we had acceptable lime free water. Yesterday he went off into town and came back with chlorinating stuff and everything we need to make the water usable. He measured it all out and put it into the tub, turned it on and left it to heat the water and do it's thing....

This morning at around 6.30am we got up and snuck out of the house and into the tub to enjoy the sunrise. It didn't matter that the sun comes up over the lake at the front of the house and the hot tub is on the deck at the back. We lay there in the bubbles watching little bats flying overhead in the last bit of half light before the sun was up and the birds were singing their little hearts out...
I feel relaxed, invigorated and ready to tackle the day....
I can see that the hot tub is going to be my new best friend....

I am ready to take on a new week - and what a week it is going to be - H is at the orthodontist tomorrow morning getting his braces redone as the old orthodontist in California completely screwed up his treatment. Tuesday is volunteer day at the CAC, Wednesday the boys have vaccinations in the morning, Thursday is free at the minute and Friday sees the annual CAC Glow Run for which I have offered to help out, so it will be a busy day of prep and then the Glow Run will start at 5pm and last for at least a couple of hours. On top of all that, the lovely Ed will be starting work on installing the new ensuite into the spare bedroom, we have firefighter training on Monday evening and Firefighter Air Evac training on Wednesday evening....

That hot tub is going to get lots of use this coming week....
Have a great one

2 comments:

  1. I can empathise with the sluggish blood flow Lou - I have a problem with my veins collapsing when they try to take blood, its a nightmare. Maybe drinking water will help, I'll give it a go!

    Love seeing the photo of your new house etc - it all looks so beautiful and exciting and Im very envious of your early morning hot tub dip!

    Hope they get H's braces sorted - Miss Mac would be distraught if hers had to be redone, she's very much looking forward to them hopefully coming off in the summer xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm jealous about that hot tub. =) you keep enticing me to come down for a visit....

    ReplyDelete

Thanx for stopping by and for taking the time to leave a comment. I love reading what you think of my posts.

Lou :-)