Thursday, March 21, 2013

A fabulous week so far....

This week has definitely been one of the best ones I've had since moving to Arkansas....
I started my volunteering at the Child Advocacy Center....

I had lunch with a new friend, who I already think is fantastic and I look forward to building a really good friendship with... She took me to a wonderful fish and seafood place - How could we not be the best of friends?....

My son - the gorgeous G, took and passed his driving theory test, only getting 1 question wrong, so now is the proud possessor of a drivers Learner Permit. Actually, maybe this isn't a truly great thing to happen. He is 14½ years old and is about to be let loose behind the wheel of a great big chunk of metal, albeit with either myself or S with him, but even so, this is a really scary time for me. In the UK you have to be 17 years old before you can apply for your Provisional Licence (Learners Permit). Those 3 years can make a massive difference on a teenagers maturity levels. I guess I have to have confidence in the fact that, G is a very sensible boy. Sometimes I wish he was more child like and would let himself go a little more, but in this case his maturity has given him a big boost. I'm not so sure the same will be said for H when he reaches the same age!....

Yesterday I got a weird email and then phone call last night from what appeared to be American Express. I had completed an application for one of their cards it seemed they needed to verify some of the information I had given them. I  was a little dubious about responding to the email, so didn't and then at around 7pm last night the phone rang and an Indian sounding gentleman told me he was AMEX and could I verify some info with him about my application. Not feeling confident, I told him I did not really wish to disclose my SSN to him without being able to prove who he was. He said no problem and gave me a number to call back. I googled the number and found conflicting reports about it and another number, one was real and one bogus. I decided to contact AMEX myself using contact numbers from the AMEX website. This I did this morning and discovered that the email and the phone call were totally legit. AMEX have become more wary of applications and contact applicants to verify the information that is submitted on applications as a security measure to prevent fraudulent applications. My response to call back a number I had found for myself, rather than the one given is a common reaction - Duh, I wonder why? Anyway, the guy was able to verify my address from the phone number I was calling from and then confirm that my application had been approved - Woot! This is a huge thing for me, because not being and American, and only having lived in the US for about a year and a half, I have no credit rating. It's not that I have bad credit, I just have no credit because I have no credit history in my own name. Getting a credit card is a really good way to build myself a good rating, so I am thrilled that they said yes. It's quite funny really, JC Penney said no when I applied to them, but AMEX said yes - go figure!....

The weekend is almost here, and even though the weather forecast is absolute pants, I am hopeful that the week will continue in it's positive vein and we will have a wonderful time. We have Fire Dept training on Saturday morning, and now I have gear to wear and a tag number, I am excited to get on with more training so I can be more useful and effective if I need to respond to an incident. Obviously  I don't want there to be any incidents to respond too - that goes without saying - but if there is one, I want to ensure I am an asset and not a liability. These guys quite literally save lives!

Anyway, off to the CAC for another day of volunteer work. These guys save lives too, just in a different way!

Have a wonderful day

2 comments:

  1. I would have never trusted an email request either...seems strange to me.

    Congrats on all the good stuff. All that and no bigot living next door...nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what is pants slang for? i'm dying to know!

    ReplyDelete

Thanx for stopping by and for taking the time to leave a comment. I love reading what you think of my posts.

Lou :-)